This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Can God Trust Me


Every town has its own distinct personality and its claim to fame. Scottsboro, Alabama is known as the Lost Luggage Capital of the World, Albertville, Alabama as the Fire Hydrant Capital of the World, and Claxton, Georgia as the Fruitcake Capital of the World. The Cow Chip Throwing Capital of the World goes to Beaver, Oklahoma.
Back in the late 70’s early 80’s, I lived just outside of Peru, Indiana that happens to be known as the Circus Capital of the World. Ringling Brothers, Hagenbeck-Wallace, Bufflalo Bill’s Wild West Show would all winter in Peru, and so it goes without saying, The International Circus Hall of Fame is located in Peru and every summer the circus still comes to life in this small town. Every July there are about 250 kids ages 7 – 21, and more volunteers than you can count, who hit the big top to amaze the crowds. Oohs and aahhs rise from the spectators as breathtaking balancing bikes, jugglers extraordinaire, extreme tumblers all take their places in the three rings on the Big Top floor. As each act finishes with a flourish and the traditional bow, the anticipation builds for the final act. We all know they save the best for last and that is always the high flying trapeze artists who do their death defying twists and turns high above the circus floor.
As the Ringmaster takes center ring, a hush comes on the crowd as he announces the final act. The flyers come out and begin to ascend to the tiny platform perched high above the crowd. All eyes follow the flyer higher and higher up a small rope ladder until at last they reach their perch. Necks crane, eyes are fixed, and silence hangs under the big top as the flyer reaches out to take the swing. I think every man, woman, boy, and girl watching secretly desires to fly and know the thrill of being completely free. Almost unnoticed, the catcher sits, already on his swing, waiting as the flyer prepares.
Did you know that the flyer’s trapeze is between eleven and fourteen feet but the catcher’s are only eight feet? That one fact suddenly opens our thinking to the reality that the catcher and the flyer are in different arcs and different rhythms. In order for the beauty of flight to happen, timing is paramount!
It is the catcher, not the flyer who is in control. It is the catcher that begins his swing as he calculates in his head the timing that is needed to be at the perfect arc at the exact time to grab hold of the flyer’s wrists. He is calculating the number of twists and turns and the height of the flyer. In the hushed silence, he swings until you hear a strong and confident “Hep” that alerts the flyer to leave the platform. Among trapeze artists, there is a common call of PBD – premature bar departure. A too eager departure means a fast fall to the net and a moment’s hesitation will also result in a bounce in the net below. There is, however, no shame in falling. Every flyer learns the art and grace of falling before the thrill of flying. Falling is a prerequisite to flying.
God has perfect timing. Again and again I have been amazed at how He has orchestrated my life to be in the right place at the right time with the right people. He knows all the variables and waits for that exact moment to say Hep. I know that I can trust Him but I wonder if He can trust me? I wonder what would happen if the Lord could trust me to wait for his strong and confident Hep before I make a move? I wonder what would happen if the Lord could trust me not to hesitant when I hear His call? I wonder what amazing things I would experience if God could totally trust me. The best catchers and flyers have a bond of trust that allows them to do death-defying feats high above the mere mortals below.
I have had those moments in my life when I heard God’s Hep and responded, not in panic mode, but simply answering His call with obedience. It is the wonder of those moments that I desire. I also have had those moments when I pulled a PBD or hesitated. I can always trust that when I obey His timing and take a leap of faith He will catch me and I will experience sheer joy or I will mess up and He will catch me in the safety net of His grace. Either way He will catch me. God knows it is going to take some practice to develop trust and timing on my part and He is just waiting for me to pick myself up and try again. So today I have learned one more lesson in the art and grace of falling and I am one lesson closer to flying. Headed back up!

No comments:

Post a Comment