This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Now Playing in My Head

Hi, this is Judy.  How many times have you listened to a recorded message when you have called someone?  For me the jury is still out when it comes to answering machines.  I really like the idea that when I am not home or not able to answer my cell and a friend calls, they can leave a message so I can return their call. Some of the messages are really funny and creative.


“Hi, I'm not home right now but my answering machine is, so you can talk to it instead. Wait for the beep.”

“Hello. You are talking to a machine. I am capable of receiving messages. My owners do not need siding, windows, or a hot tub, and their carpets are clean. They give to charity through the office and don't need their picture taken. If you're still with me, leave your name and number and they will get back to you.”

“Hello. I'm home right now but cannot find the phone. Please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as I find it.”

“Bob here. I'm home right now, I'm just screening my calls. So start talking and if you're someone I want to speak with I'll pick up the phone. Otherwise, well, what can I say?”

Those are fun and I chuckle a little when I call someone and they have gotten really creative, but I really despise the automated answering machines that are utilized by companies that say if you want to inquire about your balance press one and you have now entered a never ending maze of press one, press 2 for English, repeat the Pledge of Allegiance backwards, and you never reach a real live person.  Then there are the cell phone messages that drone on about 16 ways you may be able to contact the person you are calling. 

But I digress.  The point I want to make is people can record their own personal message and then every time the phone rings and is not picked up after six rings (or whatever the magic number you have chosen is) they hear your prerecorded message.   I am sad to say that I have one of those recordings in my head.

I don’t really know when I actually composed my recorded head message, but it is definitely there.  I am asked to speak somewhere and my prerecorded message begins to play.  “Hi this is Judy.  I am not gifted or talented enough to speak to your group.”  I am challenged to try something new and my recording goes, “Hi this is Judy I only have a high school education so I don’t think I will be able to handle this assignment.”  Some of the other prerecorded messages running in my head are that I am too old, I will probably fail and embarrass myself and my family, anyone else but me will do a better job.    

I was reading in the book of John and came across something interesting.  Listen to the message playing in John’s head.
John 13:23
New Living Translation (NLT)
23 The disciple Jesus loved was sitting next to Jesus at the table.
John 19:26
New Living Translation (NLT)
26 When Jesus saw his mother standing there beside the disciple he loved, he said to her, “Dear woman, here is your son.”
John 20:2
New Living Translation (NLT)
2 She ran and found Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved. She said, “They have taken the Lord’s body out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!”
John 21:7
New Living Translation (NLT)
7 Then the disciple Jesus loved said to Peter, “It’s the Lord!” When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his tunic (for he had stripped for work), jumped into the water, and headed to shore
John 21:20
New Living Translation (NLT)
20 Peter turned around and saw behind them the disciple Jesus loved—the one who had leaned over to Jesus during supper and asked, “Lord, who will betray you?”

If John would have had an answering machine, his message would have been “Hi, this is John the one Jesus loves.”  Another variation might have been, “Hi, this is John and I am loved by God.”
I think it is about time I replaced the message that plays in my head.  Here are a few I may be using if you call me.

Hi, this is Judy and I am highly favored and blessed of the Lord.

Hi, this is Judy and I am the apple of God’s eye.

Hi, you have reached Judy and Jesus – mountain movers.

Let me know what message is playing in your head.  I hope it is a good one and if not, change it!

No comments:

Post a Comment