This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Wild Roses

The moment I stepped out of my front door, I was unexpectedly greeted by the sweet fragraance of wild roses. What a way to start my day.  The air was heavy with the aroma that is unmistakable with any other flower, but a rose.   It was heavenly!
It is remarkable the impact smell has on our memory. POW!  I was in the middle of Illinois on a Tuesday morning in 2012, but was immediately transported to St. Petersburg, Russia 2001 as I inhaled the beautiful scent of wild roses. I can now say that I am a time traveler!  In 2001, I had been on a missions trip to a summer camp that had once been used to indoctrinate children in communism, but was now being used for educational purposes and our group was there to share our love for Jesus. Children from homes of power and influence were there for the summer to continue their education.  We were there to spread the aroma of wild roses. It was in a remote area north of St. Petersburg and wild roses were everywhere. The sweet aroma filled our lungs and reminded us that love was literally in the air.  Legend has it that one rose means love at first sight and 999 roses means true love. If that is true, God was saying to these Russian children that His love for them was intimate and limitless.      
                                                     



I had one of those God orchestrated encounters with a young man whose heart was captured with the sweet perfume of God's love.  His name was Nick, and he came to me as asked if I would pray with him to ask Jesus into his heart.  He told me that there was no such prayer in Russia.  I gave him the tract with the rose on it that explained he was special to God no matter where he was and God's love for him knew no boundaries.  
As I walked down my country road in Illinois, I remembered why I was in Russia 2001 – to spread the sweet aroma of God’s boundless love for all people.  My mission has not changed. I am still called to spread the sweet fragrance of God’s boundless and limitless love wherever I go. 







2 Corinthians 2: 14-16a In the Messiah, in Christ, God leads us from place to place in one perpetual victory parade. Through us, he brings knowledge of Christ. Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance. Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation—an aroma redolent with life.


No comments:

Post a Comment