This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Friday, February 14, 2014


HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

Today is Valentine's Day.  I am so blessed to have a husband, family, and friends who love me.  I am well aware for many that is not the case, and today is not filled with joy but sorrow.  What a shame we buy into the whole love according to society's rules, and completely overlook the one who loved us enough to exactly die for us.  Even when Christians say that they are just fine because Jesus loves them, I am not quite convinced they are truly convinced.

I recently read about the way the Zulu people in South Africa greet one another.  When they encounter a stranger there is always that awkward moment of not knowing if they have come upon a friend or a foe.  Unlike our guarded, shallow, and empty 'Hi" the words "I see you" are spoken by the first person. Those three simple words "I see you" pack a wallop.  It conveys that the person is worthy of someone's full attention.  The message expresses a desire to be fully engaged with the other person and make a connection.  It suggests that there is some value to be gained and that their full attention is the gift they are giving at that moment.  The second part of the greeting is just as powerful.  The second person responds "I am here to be seen."  I cringe.  What openness!  What vulnerability!  

Today I challenge you to listen as the God of heaven and earth speaks to you "I see you."  Does your heart race, skip a beat, and melt when you hear those words.  Think about it.  God sees you.  He looks fully into your eyes and sees to the depth of your soul.  He isn't trying to evade you or pacify you.  He sees you with eyes of love and embraces you.  Now respond to Him, "I am here to be seen."  Have you ever been that open?  Have you ever been that vulnerable?  This is a level of intimacy that everyone craves, but few are willing to take the risk.

As powerful as that scenario is, let's flip it.  Look into the eyes of Jesus today and say to Him, "I see you." Take the time to engage Him.  Let the Lord know that He is valuable to you.  He is worthy of your full attention.  Let Him know you are not there because you are in need, but rather because you are in love.  This next part is what blew my mind this morning.  The Lord responds to us, "I am here to be seen."  The Lord God Almighty openly invites us to see Him and know Him. He desires to show us the fullness of His love.  There is nothing he withholds from us.  He makes Himself available to us.  

I believe Valentine's Day will be revolutionized if you do this simple exercise.  It doesn't matter if you are surrounded by people who love you, or if you are sitting all alone tonight as couples go out to eat.  You are loved with a love that is beyond understanding and there is One who is waiting to be seen.  

I see you.      I am here to be seen.  


Try it and let me know what happens.  



No comments:

Post a Comment