This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

WW4J

Red and Purple

are the colors of choice by a group of ladies known as the Red Hat Society. Just in case there is someone who has never witnessed this phenomenon, let me give you a little background. There is an organization of women –requirement being you have to be over 50 – who wear red hats with purple boas and declare they are saying “NO” to all of societies’ rules and regulations. They are going to live life on their own terms and to the fullest. The times that I have witnessed a group of Red Hat ladies enter a room I have been struck by the fact that 1.They travel in groups 2.They make an impact on a room 3.They are having a really good time laughing and sharing. I really do not know any more about the Red Hat Society than that, but from that much, I like them. They have vowed they will not be bound by what society says they should wear or how society says they should act. Their value comes from whom they are and their mission is to live life to the fullest. I say red hats for everyone.

Society is continually bombarding women with messages and visuals of how we should look, act, and live. According to one web site these are the qualifications for a model. “If you are 5'8" or taller, you are ideal for fashion and runway. If you are shorter, then you are best suited for commercial/print (5'5"-5'7"). Petite models typically are between 4'11"-5'4", while plus size models are still required to be 5'8" and taller. The ideal measurements across the board for models are 34-24-34 (bust, waist, hips in inches).” Are you kidding me! I can qualify in the short category but those measurements are never going to happen. They go on to say, “Aside from height requirements, models are required to have good skin (not perfect but free of blemishes), great teeth, nice smile, healthy hair, and must be well groomed.” Well I think I got my third crown this year so the great teeth thing isn’t in my favor and my hair is falling out quicker than it is coming in so that makes strike three and yet there are more rules. “It is possible to have some blemishes, stretch marks or skin conditions but as long as you are able to keep it under control, such issues can be worked around using Photoshop.” Now come on, I have stretch marks that even Photoshop does not want to see. And the list goes on, “The average woman model weighs up to 25% less than the typical woman and maintains a weight at about 15 to 20 percent below what is considered healthy for her age and height.” On this one I declare that I am an over-achiever. I am well above the weight limits.

Moving from what society thinks I should look like into how they think I should act is even more horrifying. Take the “REALITY” shows that society is pitching. I say we should all hit the channel button and move on. Do I really think I need to fight – and I mean literally fight - with other women over how my hair looks, what designer I am wearing, or how many shoes I have in my closet. Come on ladies – I am saying our world has gone crazy so let's go crazy for Jesus - Wild Women 4 Jesus

Why do I waste one minute of my life trying to be a part of a group that is so ridiculously flawed? I think it is time we let the world know we have found a better way. Red Hat ladies travel in groups and so should we. We should all have a small group of women that are doing life with us. Life can be dangerous and God never meant for us to face it all alone. We should hold one another up, pray for one another, and encourage one another. When Red Hat ladies enter a room heads turn. When WW4J enter our world hearts should turn. People should be drawn to the love that is within us not by how we look or what we wear. Satan should tremble the minute our feet hit the floor in the morning. When Red Hat ladies enter a room there is laughter and a lot of sharing. If you could not be identified by the just the sound of your laughter-you need to laugh more often. When WW4J come on the scene it should be charged with the joy of the Lord.

Lynn Hybels has this to say “Never doubt that a community of thoughtful, committed women, filled with the power and love of God, using gifts they have identified and developed, and pursuing passions planted in them by God NEVER DOUBT THAT THESE WOMEN CAN CHANGE THE WORLD.”

Let’s remember that our value comes from knowing we are daughters of the Most High God and our mission is to live life to the fullest. If you want to join WW4J these are the requirements. 1. Travel in groups 2. Make an impact on the hearts of people. 3. Have a really good time laughing and sharing. Live life to the fullest!

I have a group of seven friends that God has gifted me with. A few years ago five of them made the trek to Carlinville from the Chicago area for a weekend. I bought them all red hats. No they are not all over 50, but I could not find pink hats so being the rebel I am, I just bought us all red hats. One of my WW4J is on one of those hard paths in life. To her I say – you are not alone. We will travel this stretch of life as a group. We, and especially you, will make hearts turn as those you encounter are impacted by the love of the Lord, and we will still do a lot of laughing and sharing. We are WW4J!


No comments:

Post a Comment