This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Walking Changes Everything

According to Yahoo, it is 258.33 miles from my house to where my grandchildren live and should take 4 hours and 26 minutes to get from here to there.  Actually, I can drive door to door in 4 hours with no stops.  On an average trip I will take (holidays are a whole other subject)

  1. A suitcase – even if I am only staying a weekend I need a good size suitcase – just shoes take up more room than you would think.
  2. Gifts – just a few things I have picked up since my last trip
  3. Camera – you never know when there will be a Kodak moment
  4. Knitting or crocheting to fill time
  5. Book to read
  6. Bottled water
  7. Snacks
  8. GPS
  9. Dog
Anyway you get the picture – the whole back of the car is jammed full.  Now according to walking maps, (yes there are actual walking maps) it is 232 miles from my door to my grandkids door and will take 3 days and 3 hours to walk. That is if I walk 24 hours a day, and that is not happening.  So let’s break that down.  The average woman walks a 20-minute mile and the average person on a pilgrimage walks about 15 miles a day.  SOOOOO that means 232 miles divided by 15 miles a day it would take me 15.46 days walking 5 hours every day.  NOW THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!

1 John 2:6  Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Of course, I realize the depth of meaning in that verse speaking to the transforming power of God in our lives, but the fact of the matter is, that Jesus actually walked.  How did Jesus walk?  Well, He wasn’t dragging six bags everywhere He went.  His concern was for that day. He wasn’t burdened with a lot of extra stuff just in case an unexpected need arose.  His pace was unhurried.  He had deep relationships with those who walked with Him.  He was always teaching and instructing His disciples as to the ways of God. 
So today as I prepare to walk with Jesus.  I have no bags, no extra supplies, and nothing that is not absolutely essential.  I am not frazzled and moving at warp speed.  I am spending time with Jesus and being instructed in the ways of the Lord.  So for now – see you next Thursday.  I am going for a walk.
Matthew 11:28 -30 (The Message) “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."


No comments:

Post a Comment