This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Monday, October 3, 2011

I Am A Pumpkin


I once heard Bill Hybels talk about his book on personal evangelism called, Just Walk Across the Room. He had challenged his church to write out their personal conversion story in 100 words or less.  We all know how we came to know Jesus, but to refine our story to 100 words or less is hard.  When you throw out all the “churchy words” so someone who does not have the church vocab can still understand, what words do you use?
We all know that the opportunity to share with someone who does not have a personal relationship with Jesus comes at unlikely moments when we are least prepared.  We are just having a regular conversation when, all of a sudden, the other person is asking about our faith.  You strike up a conversation with a waiter, someone next to you on a plane, or waiting in the line at the DMV and out of nowhere the subject of God comes up.  At that moment, our brains go into overload as to how much information does this person really want?  How do I explain salvation, justification, and sanctification?  Is this like a child asking where does a baby come from and all they really want to know is which hospital or does this person really want to know all the details?   Or you are having lunch with colleagues and someone just casually makes the comment that they don’t believe in God.  You are already 30 minutes into a 45-minute lunch break so your hour sermon will have to wait.  Can you tell your story in under a minute? 
I think the challenge to refine and condense our story is a good one.  We are ready on a moment's notice to share our story and then, if the person asks for more we can give more, but if not we have planted a seed that someone else will water, and then someone else will harvest.  But remember someone has to plant the seed before there is a harvest.
My story is simple and short just like me. 
As a little girl, I was told about how much Jesus loves me.  I opened my heart for Him to forgive me and make me His little girl.  Jesus has been with me since that day.  I wish I could say I have been as faithful to Him as He has been to me, but that would be untrue.  There were times in my life that I kept Him at a distance but He was always watching over me.  Today I am so thankful for a God who still loves me and still thinks of me as His little girl.  

Until you can take some time and think through your own personal story, (and I challenge you to do just that) use this one. 

“What is it like to be a Christian?”
The co-worker replied,
“It is like being a pumpkin. God picks you from the patch, brings you in, and washes all the dirt off of you. Then he cuts off the top and scoops out all the yucky stuff. He removes the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc., and then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside of you to shine for all the world to see.”
October 29, 2009 by Rest Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment