This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Just For You

It is January and winter is upon us. As I look out my window, all the trees have lost their leaves and stand bare against a cold dark gray sky.  Just a few months ago, they were covered with green leaves that did not allow anyone to see the true picture, but now they stand exposed for all to see every imperfection, every broken and misshapen branch, and every scar left from past storms. It would seem that the trees have died, but actually this is the time when nature rests and the trees are being renewed and strengthened in anticipation of a new spring season.

Just as winter comes every year in the natural, we all go through spiritual winters.  Spiritual winters leave us, like the trees, completely exposed.  What we were able to hide when life was full is gone.  Our imperfections are obvious to everyone, our weaknesses are glaring, and our brokenness revealed.  Just as winter allows the trees to rest and be renewed for the beginning of a new fruitful season, God has not left us and the hope of spring abounds for us also.

A friend of mine recently posted that she was enrolled in a quilting class.  From that post my mind wondered to a hand stitched quilt tucked away in a chest in the basement made by my Great-grandmother.  Today most quilts are works of art that are never really meant to be used, but not so with my Great Grandmother’s quilt.  She would cut pieces of fabric out of old shirts, Sunday dresses, baby blankets, or whatever cloth she was able to salvage from articles of clothing she found in her home.  She would cut different shapes and arranged colors into patterns to create a covering that was both functional and beautiful, but the main objective was to keep someone she loved warm when the bitter cold winter winds were howling.

I have been through some very long and hard spiritual winters.  There have been times when the hope of spring seemed far off or gone altogether.  It was in those times I discovered that God had custom designed a one-of-a-kind hand made quilt just for me.  Just as my Great-grandmother used fabric that came from clothing she knew and that held memories for her, God used experiences from my past that brought to my memory his amazing grace and His abundant mercy.  He put those together with pieces of His faithfulness, hope, and joy to form a block. I saw other blocks that reminded me that He was my rock, my fortress, my high tower and He had not changed.  I saw blocks made of His unfailing love, peace, and strength.  As I gazed upon my quilt, I was struck by all the memories it held of past times when God was with me and comforted me and protected me from the harsh realities of this life keeping me safe and warm until spring arrived.  As I looked closely at my Great-grandmother’s quilt, I saw that every stitch was made by hand.  Her quilt of love took her hours.  God’s quilt is also hand stitched with bright red thread that reminds me that He gave His life for me and that He loves me more than I will ever know.  His quilt has kept me warm when the bitter cold winter winds blew across my life.  I treasure my Great-grandmother’s quilt and the memories it holds for me and I treasure the quilt that the Lord has covered me with in the past knowing that should I need it again, it will be there.

So if you find yourself in the middle of a spiritual winter, take heart.  God has a quilt especially made just for you.  This quilt is not meant to be put on display, or packed away in a chest.  This quilt is not meant to be a small covering for your legs.  This quilt of love is meant to enfold you.  If the cold harsh winds of life are blowing over your life today, I encourage you to take your quilt and wrap it around your entire body.    Take some time and remember the memory that is captured in each block. Allow God to strengthen and renew you and prepare you for a new season of fruitfulness.   Remember you are loved and surrounded by an Almighty God and spring will come again. 

Song of Solomon 2:11-13

11 Look, the winter is past,
      and the rains are over and gone.
 12 The flowers are springing up,
      the season of singing birds has come,
      and the cooing of turtledoves fills the air.
 13 The fig trees are forming young fruit,
      and the fragrant grapevines are blossoming.
   Rise up, my darling!
      Come away with me, my fair one!”




No comments:

Post a Comment