This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy New Year!


This is my first blog of 2012 and what would you naturally expect the subject of the first blog of the New Year to be - resolutions -of course!  My local paper was filled with all sorts of suggestions. A lot of them had to do with losing weight and living healthy.  Another one said to keep their grades up, one to be kinder, and one said not to judge or hate.  These are all wonderful things to aspire to, but as you know by now, my bubble is not quite in the center of the level, so my New Year’s Resolution is just a little different.

As I was thinking and praying about my New Year’s resolution, the word rear guard came to my mind.  (Didn’t I just say that I am not quite in the center of the level bubble!)  I ran some Bible references and found -

Numbers 10:25 (NIV) Finally, as the rear guard for all the units, the divisions of the camp of Dan set out under their standard.
 Matthew Henry says Dan’s division followed last.  “It is called the rear guard, of all the camps, because it gathered up all that were left behind – all the unclean, the mixed multitude, and all that were weak and feeble, and lingering behind in the march.”

This was right up my alley.  I have taken the spiritual gifts test and my dominant gift is mercy, so this was a perfect match.  I would settle in the rear of God’s army and watch for those who were struggling, weak, and having a difficult time.  These would be my retirement years in the army of God.  My mind was already making plans but the Holy Spirit kept nudging that there was more so I turned to google.  (I will have to say I cannot even remember life before google.)  To my horror, when I googled rear guard this is what I found.
“The nature of combat in rear guard actions involving combat between armies of nation-states is typically desperate and vicious, and rear guard troops may be called upon to incur heavy casualties or even to sacrifice all of their combat strength and personnel for the benefit of the withdrawing forces.”
This was nowhere near what I thought I was signing up for.  The words vicious, heavy casualties, and sacrifice were not music to my ears, so I kept looking. 
I ended up watching Moses handle the first military battle after bringing the children of Israel out of Egypt.  The children of Israel had been attacked from the rear and Moses would respond.  Moses was the one that God had called to lead the children of Israel to the Promised Land so you would naturally think that it would be Moses who would lead them into battle, but that was not the case.
Exodus 17:8-11 (NIV) Now Amalek came and fought with Israel in Rephidim. And Moses said to Joshua, "Choose us some men and go out, fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of God in my hand." So Joshua did as Moses said to him, and fought with Amalek. And Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. And so it was, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed; and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed.

Moses is a perfect example of someone who takes his or her position in the rear guard.  As Joshua was leading the men into battle, Moses was behind praying.  I know a lot of people who are fighting financial battles, emotional battles, physical battles, and spiritual battles.  I am sure you do too.   If you have felt helpless not knowing what to do, let me suggest -

Ephesians 6:17-18 (NLT)
17b and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.   18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.

My 2012 New Year’s resolution is to take the sword of the spirit, which is the word of God and to stand in prayer for those who find themselves in the middle of one of life’s battles.  Remember that when Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed; and when he let down his hand, the enemy prevailed.  So I won’t be retiring this year, instead I will be looking into lessons on sword fighting. 

Hope to see a lot of swords flashing this year!


No comments:

Post a Comment