This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Monday, April 11, 2011

A Wild Spring Break

A Wild Spring Break

What images flash in your mind when you hear the words “spring break?” Wild college kids on a beach in Florida drinking and partying all night. Well, our spring break with three of our grandkids was not anything like that but I think it was better. About a month before the grandkids were coming down our granddaughter asked to have a treasure hunt. Now we have had Easter egg hunts before and Easter basket hunts but this would be far more elaborate and my husband and I were up for the challenge.

My husband got right to work. He began to send out advance clues. The first one was "Remember the staff of Ra?"

I will have to say that I rolled my eyes and thought you have to be kidding. Who in the world knows the answer to that? Well that would be Jake who knows all things trivial about Indiana Jones. From that moment the back and forth began. A treasure map was drawn up and then torn into four equal parts. Ten carefully worded clues were written. A piece of the map was hidden in with certain clues. By the time the kids arrived they were pumped to begin their quest for treasure. On Tuesday we had our tribal meeting where instructions were given, the first clue placed in their hands, and the command to “go” was given.


Clue one read “There once was a Grandma and Grandpa who liked to trick their grandkids. The kids thought they were smart enough to find Grandpa’s treasure map and find where Grandpa hides his valuables. (Grandpa will SELL hints for $1.00 each.)

To start the search you must think about how you can go fast without hitting a tree. Jake immediately began to run fast avoiding trees thinking that the answer would be found in the running. Brianna stood still and thought about the meaning behind the words and then her eyes lit up and she said, “go cart” and off they ran to search for a clue on the go-cart.

Observation

I can’t tell you how many times God has spoken a word of truth into my heart and mind and I immediately began to run. When I finally exhausted every avenue, I came back to God and asked where I went wrong and He has instructed me to think about the truth behind the words. So many times in scripture the Lord would speak truth to the disciples and they could not understand His words. It was only as the Lord gave insight that their eyes would light up and the truth behind the words became obvious. This is why we are told to study the word of God not just read it. We have to dwell on the word and let God reveal the meaning he has for us today. Isn’t it interesting we can read a scripture that we have read several times before and see something new and our eyes light up and we know the next step in our journey towards God.

Another clue that was given prior to the kids arriving was “Remember the Charlotte.” Once again I was completely in the dark but the kids knew it was a clue from National Treasure. Ben and Riley go to the arctic to find a ship buried in ice and take a meerschaum pipe that they find in the ship with them. It would be that pipe taken from the very first stop that at the very end of the adventure would open the door to the treasure room. This was meant to tell the kids to take everything they found hidden with them because they will need each item to help them unearth the final treasure. So when clue number six was read “Grandpa uses this to talk to people but you will use it to find your direction Jake and Brianna both knew immediately that it was Grandpa’s iphone and ran to the house to find it. The next clue was there and they grabbed it, read it, and ran in search of the next clue leaving the phone lying on the counter. They would later have to retrace their steps to get the phone so they could open the compass app to find which way was south.

Observation

All of life is like a classroom where the Lord is teaching me. Everyday I am supposed to make discoveries that will give me the tools I will need tomorrow. I need to be much more aware of what God is doing in my life and what He is teaching me. I know I have left valuable nuggets of truth and wisdom lying where I found them.

The hunt continued clue after clue and one would lead them to a trail we have on our seven acres back through some woods. They both knew immediately that Grandpa was telling them to look on trail number one. Jake ran like the wind filled with excitement and anticipation of what he would find next. Brianna simply began to walk across the yard and her comment was that she knew every inch of this property and she knew how Grandpa’s mind words. She had complete confidence that she was on the right path and headed the right way and there was no need to hurry.

Observation

I think God loves both sides of our reaction to His leading. I think He loves it when excitement and anticipation fill our hearts and minds as He opens up new ideas and new opportunities. He loves to see us hold nothing back and run to His calling. I think there are also times when He loves to see us react with a quiet and sure confidence. We know His path from reading His word. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path and we know how His mind works from spending time with Him so we can move forward with confidence.

So far I have learned that God is always ahead of me, and if I am listening, He is giving me guidance for the days ahead. I have learned to wait upon the Lord to reveal the meaning behind His words to me. And third I have learned that I should respond to His call with great joy and excitement mingled with a deep and unhurried confidence that I am being directed from above. Who knew you could learn so much from a child. Well maybe Jesus. LOL

Stay tuned next Thursday for part two of our wild spring break.

No comments:

Post a Comment