This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Monday, April 11, 2011

"X" Very Rarely Marks the Spot



As the search for hidden treasure continued clue after clue, Brianna and Jake were collecting parts of the treasure map. The second part of the map that they found had a black “X” on it. They had spotted that black “X” painted on the grass while looking for another clue so when the map piece showing the “X” was discovered (they had a shovel from a previous clue =) they ran to the “X” and began to furiously dig only to find nothing.


They quickly turned to their grandpa and asked why the treasure was not there and his reply was to ask them what they knew about “X’s”. Their minds immediately went to that great Indiana Jones’ quote “X very rarely marks the spot.”


Observation

My earthly knowledge and understanding does not always translate well in the spiritual realm and in a lot of cases it is actually a detriment. What I think in the natural is an obvious given is often far off the spiritual map. I need to rely on God’s wisdom and not man’s wisdom.

Towards the end of this awesome treasure hunt silver was unearthed. Actually it was a baby food jar filled with quarters with this note, “Congratulations you have found some silver but if you are really brave you will go for the GOLD. They responded instantly that they would never settle for silver when gold was obtainable.


Observation

I settle way too often. Unlike my two fearless grandchildren, I am all too often content with a little of God’s goodness. The kids knew that Grandpa was with them each step of this treasure hunt. They knew they now had silver and Grandpa had said they could buy clues for $1.00 but they also knew that all along the way he had been willingly giving them free clues. There was no reason to settle. They were going for the gold. I want to go for the gold. I avoid taking risks yet after watching Jake and Brianna I wonder how big of a risk it really would be to continue.I know that God has been with me all along the way. I know that He wants me to find Him and freely gives me clues as to how and where to find Him. I know that if I go astray He will make sure I get back on the right path so the question I ask myself is - Why would I ever settle?

After some set backs, disappointments, frustrations, wrong paths taken, and steps retraced they found the buried treasure. The time Grandpa, Kyle and I spent coming up with clues, the effort to hide each clue, bury the treasure, and make sure they didn’t get completely off track was worth every minute when we saw the looks on their faces when they dug up that red Folgers coffee can filled with chocolate covered gold coins – priceless.


Observation

My final observation is that the most priceless treasure in this world is God. The good news is that He wants to be found. Why would an Almighty God go to all the trouble to come up with a plan for me to find Him? Why would He suffer and give His life on a cross? In Hebrews I am told that for the joy set before our Lord he endured the cross. I believe He did it for the joy He would see on my face when I found Him. You and I are His joy and He wants us to find Him.

Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment