This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Do It NOW!



Am I the only one who procrastinates?  We had lived in our home almost seven years without a handrail to help guide us safely to the basement.  Every time I went down the stairs I would think, “I wish there was a rail.”  When our grandkids came to visit, I would think we really need a rail.   But still day-by-day, week-by-week that turned into month-by-month and then year-by-year, we had no rail.  Then one day I said, “Let’s go look at rails.”  We found out that it would not be that expensive but we did not buy a rail.  Then one day we said “Let’s buy a rail” so we drove to Menards but I was worried about the rail hanging too far out the back of the truck and it would be dark by the time we got home, so we did not buy a rail.  Then one day we drove the 4 miles into our local lumberyard to buy a rail.  Still I hesitated.  We could buy the rail at Menards for $10 and I would have to pay $20 locally.  I don’t know why, but that day I threw caution to the wind and bought the $20 rail.  I now have a rail that guides me safely to my basement.  I smile every time I go down and I wonder why I waited 7 years for a $20 handrail.

Putting off buying a $20 handrail is one thing but sadly I have the same tendency in lots of areas of my life.  I know the most important thing I can do is spend time with the One who will guide me safely through life.  I keep thinking I will do it later and I have as many excuses as I did for not buying the $20 rail.   I am sure most of you have seen the picture of Jesus standing outside a door knocking. One of the amazing things about that picture is that there is no doorknob on the outside.  If the door is to be opened, the one on the inside will have to respond to the knock and open the door to allow Jesus to come in.  So many times I know the Lord is knocking but I keep saying later.

A Letter from GOD
As you got up this morning I watched you and hoped you would talk to me, even if it was just a few words, asking my opinion or thanking me for something good that happened in your life yesterday.  But I noticed you were too busy trying to find the right outfit to wear.  When you ran around the house getting ready, 
 I knew there would be a few minutes
 for you to stop and say hello, 
 but you were too busy.  At one point you had to wait
 fifteen minutes with nothing to do
 except sit in a chair.  Then I saw you spring to your feet.  I thought you wanted to talk to me 
but you ran to the phone and called a friend
 to get the latest gossip instead.  I watched patiently all day long.  With all your activities
 I guess you were too busy to say anything to me.  I noticed that before lunch you looked around, 
 maybe you felt embarrassed to talk to me and that is why you didn't bow your head.  You glanced three or four tables over 
and you noticed some of your friends 
talking to me briefly before they ate, but
 you didn't.  That's okay.  There is still more time left
 and I hope that you will talk to me yet.  You went home and it seems as if 
you had lots of things to do.  After a few of them were done, 
 you turned on the TV.  I don't know if you like TV or not, 
just about anything goes there 
and you spend a lot of time 
each day in front of it 
not thinking about anything, 
 just enjoying the show.  I waited patiently again
 as you watched the TV and ate your meal, but again you didn't talk to me.  Bedtime I guess you felt too tired.  After you said goodnight to your family 
you plopped into bed and fell asleep in no time.  That's okay because you may not realize
 that I am always there for you.
I've got patience, 
more than you will ever know.  I even want to teach you how 
to be patient with others as well.  I love you so much that I wait
 everyday for a nod, prayer, thought, 
or a thankful part of your heart.  It is hard to have a one-sided conversation.  Well, you are getting up once again.  And once again I will wait
 with nothing but love for you.
Hoping that today you will give me some time.
Have a nice day!
Your friend, 
 GOD
Author Unknown

Revelation 3:20  “Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment