This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Let It Snow


How full of the creative genius is the air in which these are generated.  I should hardly admire them more if real stars fell and lodged on my coat.  Henry David Thoreau







Has anyone ever called you a flake?  Have you ever called someone a flake?  I will have to say that my best friends are flakes. I would like to submit that the comparison to a flake is a huge compliment.  Snowflakes are actually made of ice that has been fashioned into complex and symmetrical shapes determined by their journey down through the atmosphere.  They are not made on assembly lines, not cut from a press, and they are not fashioned from a blueprint.  No two snowflakes are exactly alike. Each snowflake is a spontaneous creation of mesmerizing pattern and form.  They usually have six primary branches and each branch supports additional side branches and just for the record, you will never find an eight-sided snowflake.  Physics, mathematics, and chemistry come together to create a one-of-a kind work of art.  Each one is a mini masterpiece that is uniquely fashioned.

For Christmas this year my Christmas cards say this, “Maybe snowflakes are letters God uses to write upon the winter sky a graceful script of peace, hope, and love…  Can you imagine sitting in your big comfy recliner with a cup of hot chocolate, with those little marshmallows floating on top, watching as God writes peace, hope, and love across the wintry sky.  Maybe that is exactly what is happening and we just don’t have eyes to see.  How often do we pray Matthew 6:9-10 “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,  your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
God’s kingdom is filled with peace, hope, and love.  Every person, including you and me, that was ever born came down from heaven uniquely fashioned by the hand of God into a one-of-a kind work of art with the purpose of bringing heaven’s peace, hope, and love to the earth. Psalm 139:14  Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!  Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
My daughter and I were shopping over Black Friday, (yes I was one of the crazies and I loved it) and I found a small gift box that had these words on the lid “Snowmen come down from heaven unassembled.”  In other words, some assembly required.  Have you ever read those words in the tiny black print hidden on the bottom corner of the back of a box?  Inside the box is a NASCAR® Turbostockers Speedway Slot Car Set for your son, the Exclusive Barbie Malibu dreamhouse for your daughter, or maybe a new book case you fell in love with at IKEA for your office.  Whatever it may have been, if you are like me, you thought how hard could it be?  The implication is that the hard part has been done and now all you have to do is just finish the assembly.  I can’t tell you the number of times I have sat in the middle of the floor surrounded by parts without a clue as to how they all fit together.  I want to shout at the manufacturer that “some assembly required” is a gross misrepresentation.

So if you are still trekking with my flakey analogy, God sends billions of uniquely fashioned flakes to earth (that would be us) with His peace, hope, and love written on our hearts to share with this world.  Just like the snowflake, we are one of a kind works of art uniquely fashioned by the life journey we have been on. So now there are billions of us flakes covering the earth and some assembly is required.  God has taken on the mammoth job of assembling us all together to form one body or maybe just a snowman. 1 Corinthians 12:27  Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

So as you sit in that big comfy chair with your hot chocolate watching those beautiful white fluffy snowflakes cover the earth, remember you and I have a lot in common with the snowflake.  We are fearfully and wonderfully made and are called to cover the earth with His peace, hope, and love.  We are meant to be joined together by God to form one body.  I am thankful this Christmas season for all my flakey friends and family.  My life has been made richer and fuller by being brought together with each one of you. 

Merry Christmas to all my flakey friends and family!



samarttiw / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment