This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Little Girl in Red Worshiped  -
                                                                                                I watched


It was a classic ladies’ Christmas banquet hosted at a Christian conference center. The scene for something magical to happen was set from the time I arrived.  The trees leading the way to the banquet center were covered in twinkling white Christmas lights.  A little bridge along the pathway was strung with colored lights shining in the cold night air. It had snowed a couple of days before and a skiff of snow still lined the pathway.  It would only get better as I went inside.   The room was beautifully decorated for Christmas.  A tree in one corner, place settings for eight around each table, napkins folded and the salad preset.  A beautiful Christmas decoration took center position on the table.  On top of all that, there was a huge fireplace with a wreath hung above with candles and angels on the mantel.  It was like a picture postcard.  The room was filled with women dressed in holiday sweaters decorated with Christmas pins and scarves draped around their necks. 

I was the speaker that night and I spoke about never allowing the telling of the Christmas story to fade.  The miraculous story has not changed but maybe those of us who are to tell it have lost some of our awe. I spoke of allowing the Holy Spirit to fan the flame of God’s love that is within us so that our lives would shine as that first Christmas star and lead those who are seeking to God.  Daniel 12:3 was my scripture base “And they that are wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.

After I spoke, a musical group gave a mini concert.  They were not singing the traditional Christmas carols but worship songs. The room was filled with women who loved the Lord and they were quietly entering into a time to worship the one whose birthday we were celebrating. That is when it happened.

A little 3 – 4 year old girl dressed in a red dress, white tights, brown snow boots and a red bow attached to an elastic band around her head suddenly jumped up out of her chair and went right to the front and began to dance.  Now I don’t mean some nice little dignified swaying back and forth, oh no, she was jumping, leaping, flailing her arms, and spinning around and around.  By the end of the song her little red dress was ruffled, her white tights were sagging, and her elastic headband with the red bow on it had began to inch its way up the back of her head causing her hair to become scrunched up in a little poof.  To top it all off, she was exhausted but smiling from ear to ear. 

I would like to pass the next paragraph off on the others who sat in the room but I can only speak for myself.  My first thought was “Where is this child’s mother?”  Why is she allowing her daughter to distract from the worship time?  The Holy Spirit immediately brought to my mind a scene from His holy word.

Meanwhile, Jesus was in Bethany at the home of Simon, a man who had previously had leprosy.  While he was eating, a woman came in with a beautiful alabaster jar of expensive perfume and poured it over his head.

 The disciples were indignant when they saw this. “What a waste!” they said. “It could have been sold for a high price and the money given to the poor.”
 But Jesus, aware of this, replied, “Why criticize this woman for doing such a good thing to me?  You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me.  She has poured this perfume on me to prepare my body for burial. I tell you the truth, wherever the Good News is preached throughout the world, this woman’s deed will be remembered and discussed.”

I heard the message loud and clear.  Just like the disciples, I was indignant at the sight of someone who worshipped with total abandonment. I am also sure that the Lord commended the little girl in the red dress.  She worshiped and I watched.

For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, "I'm telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you're not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom. What's more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it's the same as receiving me. Matthew 18:2-5 (MSG)

I will be forever grateful to the little girl in the red dress.  I think she was probably my gift from God for the Christmas season.  I had talked about giving everything to God and allowing Him to shine through my life but she lived it out right in front of me.  It is my Christmas prayer that the next time God looks down He will see two little girls, me and the little girl in the red dress, dancing with utter abandonment before Him.  He is worthy.

My prayer for each one of you is that you never lose your child-like wonder.  That you never get so dignified that you miss out on God’s best.  I pray that you will see this Christmas through the eyes of a child and worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment