This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Souvenirs of 2011

 The definition of the word souvenir is “a thing that is kept as a reminder of a person, place, or event.” A souvenir can be just about anything.  I have a drawer full of t-shirts that say "I Love" and then the name of a city or place.  Some people bring home key chains, state magnets, or event programs.  Shortly after we were married, Denny and I started collecting coffee cups from different places we visited. I would like to say it was for some well thought out reason but it was basically because they were cheap.  After we would get back home, we put the cup on a shelf in the kitchen to be used throughout the year as a reminder of our trip.  In the middle of winter, we could be drinking out of a cup from St. Thomas.  After a long hard day, we could grab a cup from London and remind ourselves of beautiful fairy tale castles. We have a cup from a Texas rodeo my entire family attended, a cup from a Florida alligator farm where Jake held a live alligator, state parks where we hiked trails and discovered waterfalls.  Each one still brings a flood of happy memories from times past.  


Writing a blog was my daughter’s idea and I will always be thankful for her encouraging me to try something new.  I am amazed at the souvenirs I have gathered during 2011 as I have written a weekly blog.  I have memories from some very difficult times, my brother going home to be with the Lord and one of my best friends being diagnosed with breast cancer, to a great memory of my grandson Kyle graduating from 8th grade.  I will never forget the spiritual treasures I discovered watching Brianna and Jake hunt for hidden gold coins. I have blogged insights from the Lord through ordinary everyday butterflies, eagles, refrigerator fungus, red boots, and snowflakes. So much has happened over the course of a year. Each one of these blog posts is a souvenir I treasure.  It is a blessing to go back through and remember the goodness and faithfulness of God to me throughout 2011.  In just a few hours 2012 will arrive and I am wishing you all a year filled with moments you will treasure as souvenirs forever.

                                       HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment