This is my journey to completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly give control of my life to Jesus.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Blessings


Dr. Louann Brizendine, clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco states in "The Female Brain"  that a woman uses about 20,000 words per day while a man uses about 7,000." Funtrivia.com
So I have approximately 20,000 words every day.  Think about that - 20,000 words every day.  Now that is a lot of words I am floating out into the universe.  Back in March I blogged about taking trash talk from my vocabulary which has freed up a lot of words for me.  So in a time when all the talk is about shortages, I am dealing with a surplus of words at the end of my day.  Now I will have to say that I find this new found surplus exciting.  What should I do with all these extra words I have to speak every day?
Simple deductive reasoning tells me that I have this excess because I have eliminated negative words so it naturally follows that positive words should fill up the void.  The word blessings sounds old and antiquated, but maybe it is a word that needs to make a comeback.  Remember those bell bottom pants they came back.  Headbands, scrunchies, and even blue eye shadow made a comeback so I don’t think bringing back the word blessings is a wild idea at all. What is the definition of blessing you ask - bless•ing   noun 1.the act or words of a person who blesses.
Think about it, or maybe to put you in an Old Testament frame of mind, – Selah. The Old Testament is filled with word blessings. How many times recently has someone spoken a blessing over you?  Has anyone ever spoken a blessing over you?  How many times today have you spoken blessings over someone else?  I don’t know about you but I think I know exactly where my surplus words should go.  I need to start using my surplus words as blessings.  Listen to this blessing. Deuteronomy 28¨1 -6 “If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully keep all his commands that I am giving you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations of the world. 2 You will experience all these blessings if you obey the Lord your God:  Your towns and your fields will be blessed.  Your children and your crops will be blessed.  The offspring of your herds and flocks will be blessed.  Your fruit baskets and breadboards will be blessed.  Wherever you go and whatever you do, you will be blessed.”  Talk about putting your surplus words to good use.  WOW what a blessing!!!
The New Testament gives us some good examples of using our words to bless.  Romans 1:7  To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy people: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Those words of blessings are spoken over and over in the New Testament by Paul. 
Mother Teresa said this, "There is more hunger for love and appreciation in this world than for bread."
I think this is the perfect way for me to use my surplus words.  I think you will be amazed, as I have been, the impact that just a few words of blessing can be to someone.  For some, it may be the bread that sustains them for one more day.  Take these next 31 words as my words of blessings to you today. 

Numbers 6:24-26“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace. ”’

No comments:

Post a Comment